David Leonhardt, one of the bright spots in the New York Times, wrote a brief on impeaching President Donald Trump. It’s very good – you should read it all.
- We don’t need results from the Mueller investigation to impeach Trump – he has proved his unfitness for office in multiple ways.
- Now that moderating influences like James Mattis have left the administration, Trump’s rate of doing damage will increase.
- The greatest risk is an external event and Trump’s inability to respond, or to immediately reach for dictatorial powers.
He lists four areas in which Trump has broken his oath of office:
- Trump has used the presidency for personal enrichment.
- Trump has violated campaign finance law.
- Trump has obstructed justice.
- Trump has subverted democracy.
Bob Bauer provides a long explanation of how we get to an impeachment. The first step is for Congress to hold hearings on the various issues. This provides evidence for Trump’s malfeasance. Hearings also publicize that malfeasance to develop popular support for impeachment.