— SCMP News (@SCMP_News) September 29, 2014
Click on the link for the Hong-Kong-based South China Morning Post‘s full story.
From the NYTimes:
A wave of public protest in Hong Kong extended into the working week on Monday as thousands of residents defied a government call to abandon street blockades across the city, students boycotted classes and the city’s influential bar association added to condemnation of a police crackdown on protesters a day earlier.
The continued public resistance underscored the difficulties that the Hong Kong government faces in defusing widespread anger that erupted on Sunday, after the police used tear gas, pepper spray and batons to break up a three-day sit-in by students and other residents demanding democratic elections in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.
The Hong Kong government said Monday morning that it had pulled back the riot police from roads across the city where thousands of determined protesters were blocking traffic. The government urged the demonstrators to end their street sit-ins so that life in this busy commercial city could return to normal.
But in the Admiralty area, home to the government’s offices and a focus of the demonstrators’ anger, many of the protesters who were occupying a main road said they were determined to stay until the city’s top leader, Leung Chun-ying, resigned and answered their demands for democratic elections to choose his successor…
The protesters are calling for fully democratic elections for the city’s leader, the chief executive, in 2017. Hong Kong, a former British colony that was returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1997, had been promised universal suffrage by that date. But under China’s plan for conducting those elections, only candidates vetted by a Beijing-friendly committee would be allowed to run…
Slate aggregates reports from the weekend, including multiple video clips, here.
James Fallows, at the Atlantic, has a report from one of the protestors: “When we felt threatened, we opened umbrellas and raised our hands“.
— Deborah Kan (@debkhk) September 29, 2014
The Wall Street Journal‘s “China Real Time” section has a live blog:
There will be no fireworks in Hong Kong to celebrate National Day this year.
The Oct. 1 fireworks show, one of the world’s finest, takes place in the skies above Victoria Harbor and annually showcases the city’s stunning skyline against a backdrop of exploding colors. However, in a statement, the Hong Kong government announced that out of “regard to public transport arrangements and public safety considerations,” the display would be canceled.
The government said it anticipated that the main roads leading to popular viewing points “may continue to be seriously affected” on that date, which will mark the 65th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China…
— Femi Oke (@FemiOke) September 29, 2014