News –> Pentagon will start calling lawmakers Wed whose milcon projects will be delayed because $$ for them will go to Trump's border wall https://t.co/b5vjwKP8LJ
— Seung Min Kim (@seungminkim) September 3, 2019
Trump is literally stealing money from the military for the sole purpose of being able to stand up at a rally and say, “The wall is being built.” And hope nobody asks how much of it.
— Schooley (@Rschooley) September 4, 2019
My OuR tROOPS!!! Even the Repubs aren’t buying this feral hog in a poke. Per Politico, “Trump defends cash grab for border projects as lawmakers lash out”:
… Defense Secretary Mark Esper informed congressional leaders on Tuesday of the cash grab from more than 100 military projects — such as upgrading military bases both at home and abroad — that will now be used to build a wall along the southern U.S. border. The move prompted an immediate uproar from lawmakers, who cried foul that the president had infringed on Congress’ appropriation authority.
Of the $1.08 billion in cuts coming from military facilities inside 23 U.S. states, 55 percent came from states Hillary Clinton won, versus 45 percent from states won by Trump, according to a POLITICO analysis.
Hardest hit was New York, where $160 million that was expected to go towards updating the engineering center and a parking structure at the U.S. Military Academy is being diverted…
(A whole bunch of red-state moms with kids in high school are currently screaming at their local reps, because West Point is a biiig draw for aspiring STEM students whose parents can’t afford to get them into Stanford.)
… Asked by reporters what he told members of Congress who would see projects in their districts affected by the diversion of funds, Trump said Wednesday he had delegated that task to Esper, who had “very good conversations” with “various” members, the president said.
“I didn’t tell [them] anything,” he said of the move. “The secretary of Defense spoke with members of Congress and explained it to them and I think he felt very good about it.” …
Preznit Toddler-in-Chief: Blames the stolen cookies on the
And, of course:
… The cuts would fall even harder on two U.S. territories: Puerto Rico, which stands to lose $403 million worth of projects, and Guam, which would lose $257 million. Puerto Rico is still struggling to recover from Hurricane Maria’s devastation in 2017 — and its government has come under repeated criticism from Trump, who denounced it last week as “one of the most corrupt places on earth” even as the island was facing a lashing from Hurricane Dorian.
The five projects in Puerto Rico are primarily to rebuild after severe damage from Hurricane Maria, a senior defense official said…
$10 million from cyber operations and $26 million from warship maintenance. Good thing there hasn't been a spate of cyber attacks against US infrastructure. Or for that matter we haven't had any lethal collisions involving Navy Destroyers that nearly sank. https://t.co/OpXDAbgDq8
— Zeddy (@Zeddary) September 4, 2019