Is “this proves Bernie would have won” the new “this is great news for John McCain”? Discuss.
Casual dining is in danger — and millennials are to blame.
Brands such as TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesday, and Applebee’s have faced sales slumps and dozens of restaurant closures, as casual dining chains have struggled to attract customers and grow sales.
Some of you will be very annoyed by this post, but some of you will greatly enjoy it, so here goes:
What’s the endgame of the Russia probe? By this I mean:
(1) How many people get indicted?
(2) How many people go to jail?
(3) What’s the overall political effect of the whole thing?
(4) Does Trump end up getting impeached?
(5) Does the pee-pee tape or something like that drop?
Here are my answers:
(1) Two people get indicted. I’m not sure who exactly but Flynn, Page, Manafort, and Kushner are all candidates.
(2) No one goes to jail. Trump pardons everyone.
(3) Trump’s approval rating goes down a bit but not that far, into the low 30s. Fox, Breitbart, Woodward, and Greenwald defend him to the last but not too many others do. Trump remains popular with Republicans who continue to believe it’s all a witch hunt. His lack of popularity with the rest of voters hurts him though and Dems take 30-40 seats in the the House in the midterms.
(4) Not before 2018. If Dems take the House, I still think they not impeach. We might hear a lot of “look forward, not backward” type stuff.
(5) I have no idea but it would be fun if it did!
What are your answers?
I’ve been thinking about fun topics for Friday posts but haven’t come up with anything too brilliant. A friend posted this on twitter and I thought it would make for a good one:
@evandawson I'l second David Foster Wallace. Also: Thomas Pynchon, Stanley Kubrick (other than "Strangelove"), Bruce Springsteen, ballet, modern dance.
— CentristDisruptor (@DougJBalloon) May 26, 2017
I will specify that while I truly can’t take David Foster Wallace or much of Stanley Kubrick, I only didn’t like Thomas Pynchon as much I hoped to. And I’ll admit there are some Boss songs I can deal with. Just hate his voice and think his songs mostly all sound the same.
Reader J asks:
I know we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here, but is it starting to feel to you like there’s a legitimate outside chance Trump could actually be impeached or that some bombshell revelation will be disclosed that forces him to resign?
Have you considered posting a thread where people offer the date they believe that Trump will be officially removed from office?
It doesn’t seem like Dems are too gung ho impeachment. So far it’s just Maxine Waters and Al Green (hence the title!) who are talking about it. The official line from establishment media is that impeachment is divisive blah blah blah but I wonder if the real reason is that Dems don’t want to see Trump gone because that Pence would just as bad or worse. I know know that’s how I feel. Yes, at least Pence is an ethos, but it’s a big pretty fucking scary ethos.
On the other hand, it sounds like Republicans would be happy to have president Pence. They say so explicitly here, and it seems pretty clear that’s what all the “was Pence in the loop?” stuff is about. I mean, of course he was in the loop, and pretending he wasn’t is just about getting him in as a clean new president that David Gergen can respect.
So what are your thoughts? Will Trump make it through four years? If not, when does he go?
I honestly have no idea. It all sounds like fantasy football, but if he continues like this, I don’t see how he makes it through four years.