Note for the day:
The first Playing to Win went up last Thursday. Are you guys finding it inspiring to see what everyone is doing? These threads are for you guys, so please speak up about what you want and what works for you.
Let’s try Wednesday and Friday mornings, around 9am, and Sunday afternoons.
In the meantime, people have asked for an easy way to find these threads:
· there’s a link in the hamburger (on mobile)
· there’s a link in the sidebar under Calling All Jackals (on computers & tablets in landscape mode)
· click on the Playing to Win category that shows up just under the byline at the top of the post
· if you’re
super lazy worn out from all your work canvassing and calling and texting, click here
I compiled a list of opportunities and resources that you guys shared on last week’s threads, and I’ll continue to do that if that’s useful. The resource page is at the Playing to Win link.
A couple of our jackals requested a regular political “action” thread, which we are calling Playing to Win. We’ll keep this up for as long as there is interest.
The goal is a poll-free, spin-free, prognostication-free, media-free, what’s-wrong-with-the-other-candidate-free-zone – a political thread where the focus is on ACTION: What can be done to help our candidates, and what are we doing to help them, every day?
The hope is that this will help provide inspiration, and encourage action, as an alternative to anger, frustration and despair.
Everyone is free to chime in about what they are doing for their their preferred candidate. What actions are we taking at Balloon Juice, individually or collectively, to help candidates we believe in?
What might you like to do, if you weren’t stuck on not quite knowing how to go from thinking about doing something to actually doing something?
· Make calls
· Write postcards
· Text for your candidate
· Register people to vote
· Give people rides to the polls to vote
· Bring food and drinks to campaign offices in your area
· Be an election judge
· Be a poll watcher
· Put together a bullet list of what you like about YOUR preferred candidate
· Go to a battleground state to work on a campaign.
· Use your frequent flyer miles to send a volunteer to a battleground state
· If you live in a battleground state, host a volunteer who could stay at your house
· Share a great informational article about YOUR preferred candidate
· If you have campaign connections, connect interested jackals with that campaign
· Organize a postcard-writing campaign and help other BJ peeps get started
What else are you doing?
Tell us what actions you’ve taken today, whether it’s calling or donating or canvassing or writing postcards or talking to someone about your candidate, or anything else that’s on that list. Or even something that isn’t!
Forget the other candidates. Tell us what you LIKE about your candidate.
Share your worries or concerns about canvassing or other activities. What’s holding you back?
If Playing to Win appeals to you, what else would you want to see in this space?