To echo something Cole said, I get tired of calling my stupid senators every week and begging them not to kill me or my fellow Americans. Why can’t they just suck less? (Note: this is a rhetorical question!)
But call the assholes we must. I just visited the big network websites, and only NBC had a story above the fold about this shitty plutocrat wishlist masquerading as a “tax reform” bill. Here’s a brief (not at all inclusive) list of why it sucks:
1. The individual mandate repeal would cause health insurance premiums to rise sharply and millions to lose coverage.
2. The CBO estimates the bill’s automatic spending cuts would slash Medicare by $25B annually.
3. It would blow up the deficit by at least $1.4T, providing Republicans with an evergreen excuse to cut popular New Deal programs. (Lil’ Marco has already admitted this.)
4. It would hurt the poor, the middle class, students, retirees, etc., to give rich parasites like the Trumps, DeVoses, Princes, Kochs, Mercers, et al, billions in tax relief annually. Forever.
5. It will exacerbate the already critical problem of wealth inequality and undercut local blue state governments’ ability to assist their vulnerable populations.
I could go on, but the bottom line is, this is a really shitty bill, and it’s deeply unpopular. It’s such a transparent screw-job of a bill that support for it is polling at Crazification Factor levels.
Because Republicans control the government, the odds are against us, but if we can marshal a massive citizen push-back like we did against Trump’s initial efforts to repeal the ACA, maybe we can stop it. It’s worth a shot.
U.S. Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Anyhoo, discuss the tax bill or whatever amongst yourselves. I’ll be contacting Lil’ Marco’s local staff again, no doubt eliciting rolled eyes and hissed comments between interns, such as: “It’s that crazy Cracker person again — it’s your turn to talk to her today, Emma!” “Guh! Nope, it’s your turn, Kaitlyn!”