First – thanks to all who donated. All of you/John shocked me with that last night…much more than I was expecting. I truly thank each and every one of you who donated (or who did in the past).
So that said, I’m going to be doing a few things over the next few days:
- Update remaining items on the list.
- Re-apply the customizations post-update.
- Add up/down buttons to the mobile site
- Fix the mobile site (style, mostly)
- Figure out a better way for embedded video
- Perhaps Twitter cards?
- Read More will work, darn it
- Hopefully, a return of the apostrophe in nyms.
- A number of other smaller tweaks and fixes.
- Larger text or “Reader” view for iOS for mobile site.
- Add comment count to prev/next post buttons
- Twitter and/or images for FPers in comments
- Back button (once theme update done) will be back
- apostrophe in nym makes comments go to moderation – this is a FYWP bug that may be fixed today, but is dependent on WP fixing that code.
That said, I’ll be using this post as a testbed and general problem reporting area.
Requests, suggestions, etc are very welcome. For those with the knowledge/skillset, specific references to CSS files/lines/classes/etc. that you think could be improved are very welcome. I am a jack of all trades, master of none, so I know that many readers have much more in-depth design knowledge and I welcome their advice.
I don’t expect any major bumps, but there will be minute or two here and there where the formatting may look screwy – I have to update the theme, then copy the new files to a work folder, then restore the current version of the theme so I can work on the tweaks without affecting the main site.
Once all updates and the above list are done, I’m going to work with our wonderful hosting company, Hosting Matters, to figure out why the repository-restoration kills the site by doing an incomplete recovery. It’s always tougher to function in someone else’s hosting environment than in a server where you have complete control, but I have faith in their excellent technical chops and incredible customer service.
Once again, if you’re looking for a good host for a personal, professional, or corporate web site, give them a look. They’re a great value, have great tech, and are very knowledgeable and skilled – true pros, ahead of the game, and incredibly responsive. Did I mention that they’re proactive too? Over the past year, they’ve notified me a few times that they detected a DDOS attack and similar brute-force pushes and that they’ve taken care of it, before we had a chance to report the slowdown!
Once again, thanks to all for your generosity and general good-will. These days there’s nothing more important than maintaining our bonds and collectively realizing that no, we’re not crazy – those fucks in charge (gods help us!) ARE. I will do my part to help keep this fantastic community of grumps, animal lovers, and wiseacres going strong.
Truly, y’all are the best.