The site was down for 1.5 hours or so due to my mistakes. Mea culpa.
In more detail, after re-applying our customizations to the newly-updated theme files, I realized that the site was not working correctly as the theme had changed internally in ways that our changes were affected.
I then tried to use our repository to go back to a previous version of the files and it went ka-blooey. Permissions issues, but beyond my control to fix and not easy to diagnose before the problem happened.
Luckily, John has a great hosting provider – Hosting Matters – and they helped restore the site. It just took a bit of time.
So should you be considering a new site host for your small, medium, or large site – WordPress or other – please consider them. Their support is top-class, always responsive, friendly, and the definition of technical experts.
I’ll be working on the test server to apply the new changes Tuesday and shall go from there, so there will be some updates coming, but not so dramatic!