ETA: Site was updated with the excellent help of Hosting Matters’ excellent support folks, our procedure is fixed for the next time. I’ve still lots of tweaking to do. Recipe widget coming live soon.
I’m still puttering about trying to figure out why the Read More links don’t create the anchor like they’re supposed to, but I will be launching the updated files, new plugins, etc. shortly.
I’m using a software repository to apply changes already working on my test server, but last time I did this, there were some permission issues. If they re-occur, I will note them and will have the Hosting company fix it as that is out of my control. Their script, made after the last update/twitch, resets permissions on files, so finger-crossed, there should be no issues.
Worst case scenario, the site is wacky for five minutes. Hopefully that won’t happen.
Once the new files are all good, and the dust settles, there should be a few welcome tweaks:
- A recipe plugin to make using them, copying them, finding them, etc. much easier.
- Adam has his own “Silverman on Security” section from Quicklinks.
- Bare link issue should be solved.
- This should mean that editing comments going into moderation is solved. If not, speak up!
- I made the video add force HTTPS so no more security warnings about mixed content. This may break some work-arounds, so if it is an issue, make sure you’ve adjusted your filter to https
- Fixed mobile site icons being “vertical columned”
- Once main site updates hit, I will update the mobile sit and plugin so that will be a bit later this pm.
- Amazon ad will be added to mobile site and I will make a few tweaks to it.
- Blogroll opens in same window because if it forces a new window, many devices block popups. So error reports galore, not to mention bad user experience. Deal with it or shift-click to open it in a new window/tab!
- Looking at adding CAPTCHA or such to Contact FrontPager form; we’ve been getting too much crap.
- Arrow controls on main site – there are hovering arrow controls to jump to top/bottom and prev/next post on the main desktop site. They are great tools, so please use them if you don’t already.
- There are no arrow controls on the mobile site but you can us links to jump to comments, and there are visual controls for next/prev post. The one thing missing is arrow to jump to top of screen, but for mobile devices, there are simple built in shortcuts:
- iOS: double-tap top of screen and it will jump to top of browser page
There is a simple technique.I was wrong, the technique I read about was BS. There is no jump to top outside of some apps that you can get, but I can’t recommend them as I do not know them. Apparently you can swipe to top of window much faster in Android than iOS. I will get some solution soon for the mobile site.
- I plan a few slight font tweaks and such, but that’s pretty much it.
Hope the changes are good to you all, but please feel free to use this post to complain, troubleshoot, etc. I hope to push the changes about 3 Eastern. Be well.
ETA: The site is secured using HTTPS, using an SSL certificate from the Let’s Encrypt initiative. I have one Opera user reporting some errors about the certificate authority, but I am mentioning this in case anyone else gets weird certificate notifications. We’re legit, and I suspect that the Opera version is old, or that the list of CAs that install is using is outdated but not updated. Similar issues may occur to users of other older browser versions or OSes without recent builds. But please do report any SSL/certificate issues.