Happy World Wildlife Day Juicers! This year’s theme is elephants, a noble species whom we all love and cherish despite its having been appropriated as a symbol by the T.rump party. But a species nonetheless in peril. Click the above link to see a cool global map of WWD-related events, and maybe attend one.
Also, check out Humane Society of the U.S. president Wayne Pacelle’s exclusive WWD interview with President Obama. (And for a less sanguine view than Obama’s of how TPP will affect animals, click here.)
More links below. As always, your fauna-related thoughts, views, news, and ideas are welcome in the comments. – Hillary
- Kenya to host Africa’s biggest-to-date conservation summit. Afterwards, the delegates will burn 120 tons of ivory to show “zero tolerance” for poaching.
- Remembering Tyke, an elephant who fought for her freedom in Hawaii. (Netflix is streaming a new documentary based on her story, Tyke Elephant Outlaw.)
- Federal court ruling reinstates 120 million acre “critical habitat” for polar bears. The Alaska Oil and Gas Association and state of Alaska had contested it as an impediment to oil drilling.
- Slaughterhouses kill people, too. “Domestic violence, social withdrawal, drug and alcohol abuse, and severe anxiety….Slaughterhouse workers, in essence, were ‘desensitized,’ and their behavior outside of work reflected it.” Speaking of which…
- Canada having trouble filling slaughterhouse jobs; hoping Syrian refugees will take them.
- New vegan food options from Hampton Creek (brownies, muffins, pancake mix, etc.) and Daiya (Ranch, Blue Cheeze, and Caesar salad dressings).
- Trusted news outlet reports on soybean farm brutality.