Since I’ve been getting some emails, for those just joining the fun, or those who know what’s been going on, a quick site status recap:
- In order to solve the “page link” issue for the controls at the bottom of the page, the theme support folks told me to update to the new version of the theme. I did, and that didn’t fix the problem.
- After growing impatient waiting for support last night, I began what ended up being a multi-hour download of the site backup so I could grab what I needed to restore it to the way it was earlier Friday. That download completed when I was asleep. Today I find the backup is corrupt so I am now downloading another, older backup in hopes that it isn’t also corrupted. This takes hours, not because of my slow speed, but that’s how the web host is setup and it’s not a file I can access anywhere except by downloading via a cpanel/web interface.
- Temporarily I set the site theme to the way it was in early December as that’s what I had easy access to on my machine. Thus is just until I can get into the backup!
- As soon as the download is done and I can pull the files I need, I will make the site the way it was earlier this week.
- Support has advised me that the way to solve that problem is to set the theme to a WordPress default, delete the theme files, re-download and apply them (and then I’d need to re-apply the settings and customizations). You can imagine just how much I look forward to that knowing how little any of you want to have that happen. Don’t worry, I will not do that until some future time, so that problem will remain.
- So far, in my attempt the past few days to re-research and then follow directions to solve this page problem, I’ve spent over 6 hours, and we’re just here. I’m not sure that’s progress, but that’s where we are.
I now have to go play outside in the snow with my wife and my cats (one of whom is enjoying her first snow) so please consider this an open thread. I will be back later to check the download and so won’t really be sitting here responding to comments. I might look at them later or tomorrow.
When I have the files, I will quickly apply them and the site will be back to the way it was Friday and earlier. I’ll still add some requested style tweaks, but I’m going to hold off on touching anything else until we do the new comment system in February. Considering some comments/emails, I’m sure that will be celebrated by many. I remind them that I’m the back end guy, not the front end guy, and I’m trying to fill in for him since that thing fell apart. I make no pretenses at being a front-end developer or programmer; I have managed them, and associated projects/products, etc., but for Balloon Juice, I offered to help in areas that are not my normal bailiwick.