Folks, sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been active, but I’ve been awaiting the release of required features in the upcoming new commenting system. Since that’s still 2-3 weeks off, I figured I’d post an update and general site maintenance thread.
First – I haven’t been reading the site much, so I have missed all comments that folks have made, although I did spend some time catching up on Adam’s post from last week and its comments. From now on, I’ll try to post a new Site Maintenance thread every couple of weeks until this process is through.
So a brief site maintenance news, and then feel free to comment, add issues, etc. I am making no promises about doing everything, but I’ll see what I can do. Some may be immediate, some Monday/early next week, and some may happen closer to/at the time of the new comment system release.
- New Comment System: We are launching the new comment system as soon as it is ready. Commenters need the bold/italic/link/etc. capabilities that are currently available, and this new comment system does not yet do that. This functionality has been promised by Feb 10, and I plan to wait a few days after release to let them clean up newly-found bugs, etc. When it is ready, we’ll announce the day and time that it will launch because there will be a one-time indexing and processing process that will temporarily disable comments for 6-10 hours. Once that process is complete, comments will be using the new system. This will improve a number of things, and I expect some or more new quirks or issues will appear and plan to address them as soon as they are reported.
- RSS: Some RSS users still report occasional outages. We are investigating, so if/when you do have an RSS outage, please do this: in Firefox, go to www.balloon-juice.com/feed and see if it resolves. Either way, please email me to let me know that RSS is down.
- Nighttime slowdown: This is linked to the Site Backup and I’m waiting to hear back from the hosting folks on changing the time it runs (I’m trying to move it to 4 am Eastern).
- I’m waiting to hear from the theme support folks and mobile site folks on some issues.
- I’m about to update the theme, so if anything looks wrong, please let me know.
- The “back button” functionality that so many miss: once again, the current comment setup was/is a temporary one, until we get the new system working. Once it does, we’ll get “back” working if it doesn’t automatically. I am not a programmer, but if need be once the new system is launched, I’ll get it working. If you are a suitably-skilled commenter, and have some code, resources, or ideas, please send them my way!
- Ads cutoff on right sidebar, etc. – that’s the folks who control the ads. Soon I hope.
- The previous page function at the bottom of the page was apparently solved in the theme update that I am about to load. It’s not something I broke, and the theme support folks led me to believe it was a WordPress problem so I thought it would auto-fix quickly. Sorry I didn’t follow up.
So, that all said, please feel free to post more issues and questions. I hope to have URL in comment author and small tweak on mobile site, but really I’m planning on dealing with the majority of stuff when the comment system goes live as I’ll need to touch a lot of areas.
As always, feel free to email me.
Thanks for your patience, encouragement, suggestions, and reminders.