We’ve setup a new menu item, under About Balloon Juice, for all future issue reports and suggestions about the site. That way, we don’t miss important things because we aren’t monitoring the comments 24-7!
We are still working through many of the things listed in John’s post from late last week, so please hold off a few days on re-reporting issues. We are still working through a number of back-end issues, accessibility issues, RSS issues, and mobile refresh issues. And yes, we’re looking into bringing back the arrow navigation functionality that so many mention. Besides many small tweaks, there will be a new commenting system implemented in December, as soon as the plugin we’ve chosen has the functionality we need.
Although this post shows up on the main site, it will be permanently viewable under the About Balloon Juice => Site Maintenance menu. Please note that putting up this permanent post for your suggestions and issue reports is not a guarantee that anything will happen, but it makes more sense to have a central location for this information.
This post and its successors will be checked semi-regularly, so don’t be surprised if your comment isn’t responded to immediately. If we need further clarification, we’ll email you at the address you supply in your comment.
Thanks for your help and support,
The Balloon Juice team
Helpful Info to Include in Your Issue Reports
- Device (PC/Mac/Tablet/Mobile/Screen Reader/etc.)
- If Mobile/Tablet: iOS/Android/Windows Mobile/Blackberry/etc. as well as (for tablets) size
- Operating System/Version
- Mobile Theme or Desktop theme on a mobile device?
- Using Ad Blocker or other content filtering technology?
- Is this is an RSS issue, what reader/OS are you using?
Some quick help for refresh issues
Issue: Old content showing, new content is not showing up.
- Platform – Desktop: In a desktop system, shift-refresh/reload will re-request the entire page and should show the most recent content. This should only need to happen once; if you continue hitting refresh issues, please submit a report.
- Platform – iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod): Many users of these devices have seen issues with the Mobile Theme not updating content, but when you switch to the Desktop View (at the very bottom of the page), the current content shows. This is a Safari caching issue and should be quick to solve. Close all tabs that have Balloon Juice open. Then, close the browser (click Home button once, then when you see the Home screen, double-click it and swipe to close Safari). Re-open Safari and open a new Tab and go to Balloon Juice. You should be good to go!
Again, if these refresh issues are just temporarily solved by these techniques, please let us know. We are finessing the settings on our caching tool and so in solving one person’s issue, we may inadvertently cause another user an issue!