(1) A black Annie makes perfect sense to me. A black orphan today seems like a pretty good analog to how people would have regarded a ginger orphan in the Great Depression. Not a perfect analogy for various reasons, but close enough. Plus the impotent rage of racists on Twitter makes the whole thing more than worth it.
(2) In a fair world Quvenzhané Wallis will have as much Hollywood work as she wants. However,
(3) She deserves a better movie than this. I watched the trailer and it looks…dull. Annie calls for something more fun than an eight times warmed-over plot about picking up an orphan for PR and then discovering that you care. Is it too much to ask for Batman-worthy thugs, outer space or a gyrocopter? Seriously people, the franchise gives you carte blanche to go a little nuts and you give me the sort of thing Jennifer Lopez tosses off between perfume commercials. Plus,
(4) Cameron Diaz is grievously miscast. Also,
(5) Whoever decided to auto-tune Tomorrow should apologize. There are approximately a thousand talented kids working on or near Broadway who would be happy to sub in an edgy modern take without that trendy techno-crap. Or let Wallis do it au naturel. It could not turn out worse than Russell Crowe and Tugger in Le Miz.
OK fine, so I am the kind of purist who can only bear to hear the original Broadway cast recordings of West Side Story or Sweeney Todd. Sue me. And get off my damn lawn.