Someone’s car died in the driveway tonight and I was able to get it going again, mainly through total luck, so I’m migrating to the new theme right now while I’ve got a hot hand. Things will be wonky for a bit. I’m turning comments off just so I have a good restore point if things go really bad.
Update: You’re looking at the new theme. If something looks strange, hold down your shift key and hit reload (which is the circle with an arrow someplace on your browser bar). Here’s a short overview of the changes:
- We’ve gone back to the three-column layout, and we’ve widened the site since this is 2013 and people have bigger monitors.
- The center content column is wider so we can post bigger pictures.
- The only search that we have now is Google search, accessible from the search box on the top of the rightmost column.
- The mobile theme is unchanged for now. Long story short: we pay money for it, it was recently upgraded, and the upgrade was actually a step backwards.
- The toolbar on comments is a little different because our old toolbar plugin was years old and didn’t work with the new theme. This toolbar might not work with Internet Explorer.
If you’re having an issue, post the browser version and operating system you’re using. Example: I’m using Chrome on Windows 7.
Update 2: There are no recent posts listed because that box requires a join on a 3 million row table that kills the database.
Update 3: Comment font size increased.
Update 4: For those of you who don’t like the width, play around with your browser window width. As you narrow it, the layout adjusts dynamically to show only the center column.
Update 5: Non-linked commenter names are now black.
Update 6: Activated the iPad mobile theme. See if that’s better.