It’s breast cancer walk time, and participation is down more than 25% at some Komen affiliates, according to the Times. Yet, the Brinker family is still in charge, and they’re not even responding to interview requests. I found this interesting:
Under Komen’s franchise-like model, affiliates operate as independently incorporated nonprofits but must abide by the national group’s policies. Affiliates can spend up to 75 percent of their net income on local programs — like breast cancer screening — of their own choosing. The other 25 percent goes to the national Komen organization, where it is used to finance scientific research grants.
The obvious thing for affiliates to do is to withhold some or all of that 25%, since the shortfall is completely due to the national office’s gross incompetence. Or the affiliates can just go independent, because the Komen brand has been destroyed, so what’s the point of associating with them? It’s really too bad that local affiliates are being hurt by this, because they’re full of well-intentioned hard-working people. But it’s clear that failure continues at their national organization, who apparently still think that stonewalling and hiding out are the best strategy to deal with the mess they’ve made.
A family friend died of breast cancer the other day, so I’ve had plenty of time to reflect on how shitty this disease is, how it slowly grinds all the life out of someone by attacking the liver, brain and bones until there’s just a shell of a wonderful person left to put in the ground. Our local breast cancer organization is not a Komen affiliate, so there was no need to wonder if some of my donation would be going to support the Brinkers. Here are some other alternatives.