Please, sir. Can I ‘ave some more?
Well, comrades, this is a problem that the GOP plans to fix. No more handouts for these little crumbsnatching welfare queens. The Missouri GOP (Jane Cunningham, to be precise) is leading the way by trying, like, actually trying to repeal child labor laws.
- children under the age of 14 no longer being limited in being able to work;
- children being able to work during the school term without a permit;
- 16-year-old children being able to work in hotels and motels without restriction on hours;
- the removal of restrictions on employing 16 year olds and requirements regarding obtaining certification and permits for children to work;
- the elimination of authority of the Director of the Division of Labor Standards to oversee employers of children;
- the removal of an evidentiary presumption that any child under the age of 16 present at a place where labor is employed is employed there.
Here is the bill’s official summary:
SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.
So, what — I ask you — the fuck? Well obviously, given that the GOP and Teabillies think that teachers are living the good life and barely working, and when they do deign to work, they do such a shitty job anyway, so why not just put kids to work? Yank ’em out of school, slap a miner’s cap on their head, and toss them down a well. They are freeloaders and we’re sick of ’em.
Here’s a BBC report from 2006 about worldwide child labor issues:
The GOP is employing an “all hands on deck” assault on this country. It’s fucking bananas.
You can bet your sweet ass that the repeal of minimum wage laws is next on the list.
Oh, and by the way? I think we have our answer to the eternal question: “Where are the jobs, Mr. Boehner?”
And, the race to the bottom continues.
1 The Alternet piece was published almost a month ago, and I only heard about it because a reader tipped me off. That’s what I’m finding so incredible right now. There is SO MUCH FUCKING CRAZY GOING ON that I can’t even keep up. I need a nap.
[cross-posted here at ABLC]