I have 500 blogs to read since I have been away/busy for two weeks. I will post more tomorrow night.
Archives for April 2002
Just got back from a week in NYC, and I have a couple of observations.
– I stayed in Brooklyn, in a real blue collar area, and I was simply amazed at how many American flags are prominently displayed. Every house has at least one flag, and most have 2-3. All I could think was that Osama and crew pissed off 8 million people for good, and New Yorkers do not forgive or forget.
– The New York Sun is just great. I don’t know if it is just me, but I did not feel it had a conservative tilt to it- it was just straight up reporting, and most of the coverage was on local news. I guess the absence of a liberal bias makes something conservative. The paper is a little thin, but if I lived there, I would definitely subscribe.
– Every day I was there I read another story about a funeral of a fireman or a cop from the WTC.
– Inside Grand Central Station, there is the most awful memorial/announcement board for those still missing from 9/11. Xeroxed sheets with pictures from weddings, and handwritten descriptives about height, weight, description of wedding band and which hand watches were worn on, all with a little note saying I love you/miss you. After two minutes, I was bawling. Those motherfuckers.
– Egg Creams are delicious.
– You just do not realize how big Ground Zero is until you went there. I did not make a special trip to it, but the express bus I took to Manhattan drove right by it. It is just enormous- for Pittsburgh fans, it looks like you could fit all of Three Rivers Stadium in there.
– The last thing I noticed, which I must have just forgotten on my last trip there (5 years ago), was that New Yorkers wear nothing but black. You can tell the tourists- they look up at the buildings and wear colors.
BTW- The Pirates are leading the NL Central, and the Steelers had a helluva a draft.
I almost forgot. The Eurotrash have become so reflexively and stridently anti-American and anti-semitic that even SNL is poking fun at them. Last night they had one of their mock commercial/PSA’s attacking the French. I forget the entire text, but the voice over started calling them ‘Cowardly, yet opinionated, and let’s not forget extremely anti-semitic.’ Later on it called them jew haters.
I loved it. I hate the French.
Dan Flynn asks where all the Black Panthers are. The answer? Jail.
Very weird weather today. The temperature dropped like 20 degrees, then we had a terrible lightning/thunder storm. My satellite went out for two hours, and the storm hit so suddenly that lightning managed to hit damned close to my house before I was able to run around unplugging everything. The lightning hit so close to my house that it distorted the picture on my monitor (it was all washed out and blue looking, like an old color tv gets after 15 years). I turned it off and back on, and it worked fine, so I guess I lucked out.
Well.. I am back, sort of. I have to be out of town starting Wednesday, so I should be able to resume posting seriously when I get back. First things first. If you have not seen the news yet, Le Pen stunned the socialist Jospin, and the left is up in arms, marching in the streets. Le Pen had this to say to reporters:
“I have nothing to do with fascism,” Le Pen said. “Fascism is protesting the result of a vote violently in the street.”
Sorry for the lack of posts. Number of things going on, first and foremost is a job hunt. The margaritas and 90 degree weather are not helping. I should be back in form shortly. If you should choose to hire me site unseen- me email is to the left there.
And I am sure the Harvard reaction is good riddance…
Week-end Margartita Update: No policeman friends, but I am so hungover my hair hurts.
One more thing- anyone who has ever seen a basketball in their entire lives- WVU needs a coach, again. This one lasted a week before quitting. We are the laughingstock of the sporting nation.
No posting for me until Sunday, most likely. It is 75 degrees, sunny, and I am about to go engage in a 2 day margarita spree. If you want to help me with bail money, I prefer the paypal method over the amazon honors…
Is this the real cause for European Anti-Semitism?
“What is the worldly religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money.”
Can you guess the Jew-basher? Pat Buchanan? Pat Robertson?
Nah. Hillary Clinton? Maybe, if Dick Morris can be trusted. It was actually Karl Marx, in an obscure 1843 booklet written in response to German theologian Bruno Bauer’s “The Jewish Question.” The booklet is best known by the wishful Moscow translation, “A World Without Jews.”
The author has his own excellent blog that you might want to check out. By the way Clay- I want on the damned enemies list. Snicker.
What the hell do I have to do or say to get on the Warblogger Watch List? I am at least as blood thirsty as Jeff Jarvis..
The country’s fourth-largest computer maker is taking to the airwaves in a bid to rally consumers against a copyright-protection bill that would prevent computers from playing pirated movies and music.
Starting Wednesday night, computer maker Gateway Inc. will launch a radio and TV ad campaign urging consumers to visit its Web site to download free music and learn more about a copyright debate that so far has been dominated by Washington lobbyists and corporate lawyers.
The ad campaign underscores the furor over a bill introduced last month by South Carolina Democratic Sen. Ernest Hollings that would prevent new computers, CD players and other consumer-electronics devices from playing unauthorized movies, music and other digital media files.
Let’s see. Dell hassles legal gun owners and federally authorized sellers of weapons, Gateway is spending their money promoting awareness of the horrible impact the Hollings Bill will have on consumers.
I am in the market for a new computer. My choice got much easier.